第五世代移動通信のためのミリ波Edge Cloud (5G-MiEdge Project)
Introduction – What’s 5G-MiEdge ?
In future wireless systems, e.g. 5G & beyond, realization of low latency under restricted backhauling constraints are key problems. As a solution, this research project attempts to establish a new concept based on the combination of ultra-broadband mmWave communications and mobile edge computing (MEC). This project on 5G cellular networks employing mmWave edge clouds is under the collaborative research between Japan and Europe.
Concept of mmWave Edge Cloud System
Fig.1 shows the system architecture. Small cell base station (BS) is equipped with an edge cloud server with storage and computation resources, that enables traffic mitigation in the wired backhaul and low latency necessary in mission-critical applications such as self-driving cars and virtual reality, by prefetching/cashing of data transmitted through high speed wireless mmWave backhaul.
Fig. 1 mmWave edge cloud based 5G cellular system architecture
Analysis of mmWave Edge Cloud System Using A Practical Model
To evaluate the effect of the edge cloud, numerical simulations are carried out by using a new cellular model adopting moving user scenario, utilizing Winner II based geometrical stochastic channel generator ‘Quadriga’, developed by Fraunhofer, HHI, Germany. This model adopts mmWave heterogeneous network (HetNet) (Fig.2) in which several small cells (hotspots) supported by a micro BS equipped with the edge cloud are distributed over a legacy macro cell.
Fig.2 Overview of mmWave HetNet with edge cloud
- G.K. Tran, H. Shimodaira, K. Sakaguchi, “Evaluation of mmWave overlaid 5G heterogeneous cellular networks – Suitable frequency bands for different 5G KPIs -,” APWCS 2016, Aug. 2016.
- K. Sakaguchi, “Millimeter-wave for 5G from MiWEBA to 5G-MiEdge,” in Proc. EuMW 2016, Oct. 2016. (Keynote Speech)
- G.K. Tran, K. Sakaguchi, K. Araki, M. Ando, J. Hirokawa, K. Fukawa, Y. Chang, J. Takada, K. Saito, A. Matsuzawa, K. Okada, M. Miyahara, “Technical Challenges to Realize mmWave based 5G Cellular Networks,” IEICE RCS Technical Committee, Oct. 2016.
- G.K. Tran, K. Sakaguchi, M. Ando, “mmWave Access/Backhaul Integrated 5G Heterogeneous Networks,” FUSECO Forum 2016, Nov. 2016.
- G.K. Tran, K. Sakaguchi, M. Ando, “Toward the Realization of mmWave based 5G Cellular Networks,” WPMC2016, Nov. 2016
- G.K. Tran, H. Shimodaira, K. Sakaguchi, K.Araki, “Dynamic ON/OFF of smallcell BS in C-RAN based 5G HetNet supporting user’s satisfaction,” IEICE RCS Technical Committee, Vol. 2016-04-RCS, Apr. 2016.