mmWave Edge Cloud for 5G Cellular Networks
In recent years, the demand for further expansion of the capacity of wireless communication is increasing due to the drastic growth in the number of connected devices and the emergence of various service applications. Currently, the trend towards 5G system introduction in 2020 is becoming active. The typical usage scenarios of 5G have been identified as eMBB, mMTC, and URLLC. Meanwhile it is necessary to decrease traffic on the backhaul side and reduce the end-to-end latency. To address it, in the last few years, we have proposed the concept of mmWave overlaid heterogeneous cellular networks where mmWave small cell base stations are introduced into the conventional macro cells as shown in Fig.1. Moreover, we attempt to introduce a new concept based on the combination of ultra-broadband mmWave communications and multi-access edge computing (MEC) as a solution.
Fig.1 5G Cellular Network
The mmWave Edge Cloud system architecture is shown in Fig.2. As an overview of this architecture, the cloud side applications are also deployed on the MEC side according to the application requirements and data traffic situations, and the users are controlled with out-of-band C-plane to be connected to the surrounding MEC application. To reduce the backhaul traffic and end-to-end latency, our architecture could be realized by forwarding (prefetching) data to an edge cloud based on users and network context information such as user position, network load, and data popularity, and enables the network to orchestrate its radio and MEC resources.
Fig.2 mmWave Edge Cloud System Architecture
- Kei Sakaguchi, Thomas Haustein, Sergio Barbarossa, Emilio Calvanese Strinati, Antonio Clemente, Giuseppe Destino, Aarno Pärssinen, Ilgyu Kim, Heesang Chung, Junhyeong Kim, Wilhelm Keusgen, Richard J. Weiler, Koji Takinami, Elena Ceci, Ali Sadri, Liang Xain, Alexander Maltsev, Gia Khanh Tran, Hiroaki Ogawa, Kim Mahler, Robert W. Heath Jr. “Where, When, and How mmWave is Used in 5G and Beyond“, IEICE Trans. Electron., vol. E100-C, no. 10, pp. 790-808, Oct. 2017. (Invited)
- Gia Khanh TRAN, Hidekazu SHIMODAIRA, Kei SAKAGUCHI. User Satisfaction Constraint Adaptive Sleeping in 5G mmWave Heterogeneous Cellular Network, IEICE Trans. Commun., IEICE, Vol. E100-B, No. 4, Aug. 2018.
- Hiroaki Ogawa, Gia Khanh Tran, Kei Sakaguchi, Thomas Haustein, “Traffic Adaptive Formation of mmWave Meshed Backhaul Networks,” ICC2017, WS-03, IEEE, IEEE, May. 2017.
- Hiroaki NISHIUCHI, Gia Khanh TRAN, Kei SAKAGUCHI. [Invited] Performance Evaluation of 5G mmWave Edge Cloud with Prefetching Algorithm, VTC2018-Spring, IEEE, Jun. 2018.
- Hiroaki NISHIUCHI, Gia Khanh TRAN, Kei SAKAGUCHI. Prefetching Algorithm for 5G mmWave HetNet under Backhaul Constraint, IEICE General Conference 2018, Mar. 2018.
- Gia Khanh Tran, Hiroaki Nishiuchi, Valerio Frascolla, Koji Takinami, Antonio De Domenico, Emilio Calvanese Strinati, Thomas Haustein, Kei Sakaguchi, Sergio Barbarossa, Sergio Barberis, Katsuo Yunoki. [Invited] Architecture of mmWave edge cloud in 5G-MiEdge, ICC2018, IEEE, May. 2018.
- Makoto Nakamura, Ricardo Santos, Konstantin Koslowski, Hiroaki Nishiuchi, Gia Khanh Tran, Kei Sakaguchi. Performance Evaluation for Millimeter-wave Backhaul and Edge Cloud Networks, SmartCom2018, Oct. 2018.
- Gia Khanh Tran, Ricardo Santos, Konstantin Koslowski, Hiroaki Nishiuchi, Makoto Nakamura, Kei Sakaguchi. Performance Evaluation for Millimeter-wave Backhaul and Edge Cloud Networks, Multiple Innovative Kenkyu-kai Association for Wireless Communications 2018, Sep. 2018.
- Hiroaki NISHIUCHI, Gia Khanh TRAN, Kei SAKAGUCHI, “[Poster Presentation] Performance Evaluation of Prefetching Algorithm for 5G mmWave Edge Cloud,” SmartCom 2017, Technical Report, IEICE, Oct. 2017
- Gia Khanh Tran, Kei Sakaguchi, Makoto Ando, “[Keynote] Paving the Way to the Realization of 5G Cellular Networks based on mmWave Small Cell Networking,” WoWMoM2017, SCN workshop, Jun. 2017.
- Kei Sakaguchi, Gia Khanh Tran, Hiroaki Ogawa, “mmWave meshed network with traffic and energy management mechanism,” in Proc. IEEE SPAWC2017, July 2017.
- Gia Khanh Tran, Kei Sakaguchi, Makoto Ando, “Integration of mmWave Access and Backhaul Networks for 5G & Beyond,” Japan-China Workshop on the Next Generation Mobile Communication Technology and Application, Jul. 2017.
- Gia Khanh Tran, Kei Sakaguchi, Makoto Ando, “[Invited] mmWave Heterogeneous Networks in 5G & Beyond,” ATC2017, ATC2017, Oct. 2017.
- Hiroaki NISHIUCHI, Gia Khanh TRAN, Kei SAKAGUCHI, “[Poster Presentation] Performance Evaluation of Prefetching Algorithm for 5G mmWave Edge Cloud,” SmartCom 2017, Technical Report, IEICE, Oct. 2017.
- Ricardo Santos, Hiroaki, Ogawa, Gia Khanh Tran, Kei Sakaguchi, Anreas Kassler, “Turning the knobs on OpenFlow-based resiliency in mmWave small cell meshed networks,” in Proc. IEEE Globecom Workshops, Dec. 2017.